Thursday, April 8, 2010

Helpful tips

We got a call yesterday about our house, and they actually came and looked at it today! That is rare, because sometimes people call sounding very interested, and then we never hear from them again. Or the 3 million calls we've received about renting it out. No, no, a thousand times no. And to be perfectly honest, most days I forget our house is even on the market, because it has been soooooo slow of a market. But a showing is always good. So I am happy. I got the toys put away and everything spic and span. Now that I am home again, I can enjoy the smell of Lysol and linen spray I used to make the house smell nice. It makes me feel kind of like I'm visiting my own house! Especially when I walked into it after the people left, when I had all the lights and lamps on, music playing, and everything (that makes it look like someone actually lives here) put away. I must admit, I go a little overboard when I have a house on the market. I just want it to sell, but sometimes I forget that it's not in my hands at all. Thank you Jesus, for not putting that decision in my hands! Help me to remember this.

The past few days as I have been cleaning up clutter, etc. I have come across some helpful tips I would like to share:

#1 Vinegar is an awesome cleaning tool. It is non toxic, it cuts grease and grime, kills mildew, and brightens tile and grout. Honestly, the first time I used it, it reminded me of dying Easter eggs, but that will pass. Baking soda also is a great cleaning tool. But remember my fiasco with cleaning the kitchen floor with it: you really have to get up the grit!

#2 A few weeks ago I was cleaning underneath my bathroom vanity. I found all sorts of shampoo bottles half full, of products maybe I had tried and didn't like. I also had tons of scented body washes, mostly that had come in sets as gifts. Most of them were scents I would never use in the bath, like s'mores scented, gingerbread, vanilla.... you get the idea. Well, I used all those old shampoos and body washes to fill my hand soap dispensers. That way they don't go to waste, and those smells are fine just to wash your hands. So next time you buy a shampoo you hate, you won't feel like it was wasted.

#3 If you have been reading my blog lately, you have heard about my desire to iron all my family's clothes before they get hung up in the closet. I've never had a deep desire to do this before, but sometimes things just hit you like this one did to me. I must say, it has been a wonderful thing. Yes, because me and my family can wear whatever without it needed to be ironed first; but that is not the high point of it. I have used that time several times a week to talk to God while I iron. It has been a very special time to remember people I need to pray for, and to evaluate my relationship with God. Now I understand why I felt so strongly about doing this. God has used that time to glorify Him. It's amazing how He works things out. Absolutely amazing.

This just in: the people that just looked at our house want to come back RIGHT NOW for a second look. Exciting! I will keep you posted :)

1 comment:

  1. Great post Kara.

    I love this "Now I understand why I felt so strongly about doing this. God has used that time to glorify Him."

    Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete